Welcome to another edition of my MUA Focus Series. It’s where I ask some of my favourite make up artists questions we all want to know, their go to products and showcase some of their work. Tonight is all about the super talented Natasha Browne, from Waterford!
Natasha Browne is one of my best friends and has been for several years. I don’t think anyone has done my make up as many times as Natasha. She has unreal skill and phenomenal passion for what she does. Natasha is very creative too and does incredible Halloween makeup!!!
Natasha is a qualified beauty therapist with years of experience behind her after studying beauty in Waterford College of Further Education. She runs her own beauty room, Natasha’s Beauty, in Rockfield Park, Waterford. As well as doing makeup she also does a range of beauty treatments including shellac nails, manicures, pedicures, waxing, and tinting. She is so professional and you’re guaranteed the best of chats when you go to her. She often does my makeup and gets it perfect every time. I’d highly recommend her!!!
Q & A
1. What is your favourite primer&why?
Inglot Mattifying Under Makeup Base. Great for me as I have oily skin. Makeup lasts all day and doesn’t slide off.
2. Favourite Foundation to use on dry skin/oily skin/mature skin?
Dry skin – Nars True Radiant Tinted Moisturiser
Oily skin – Inglot HD foundation
Mature skin – Revlon Colour Stay Whipped Cream foundation
3. Favourite Highlight & why?
The Balm’s Mary louminiser….You can see it from space!
4. Favourite Eyeshadows&why?
Loving the Morphe Eyeshadow Palettes at the moment. Lots of colours and strong pigment when used with the right brushes.
5. Favourite Lashes&why
So Sue Me are my favourite at the moment. They have a small band, which makes them easy to apply and can easily use up to 15 times once you take care of them properly and remove glue after each use.
6. Favourite lip combo?
Penney’s “Nude” Lip Liner and Sleek “Birthday Suit” in the matte lip gloss.
7. Do you prefer cream or powder contour or do you do both?
I do both. I use cream for the lighter contour and use powder for the darker contour.. I rarely use cream for the dark contour.
8. What is your go to brush/sponge to apply foundation?
Blank canvas F08 Buffing Brush. Foundation is always flawless using this brush.
9. What is you favourite fluffy brush for blending eyeshadow?
10. If you could only use one makeup product for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Oooh that’s hard but I would probably say concealer to cover up any blemishes and use under the eye and under brows to open the eyes up.
11. What do find the most challenging about being an MUA, and managing your social media accounts?
The most challenging part for me is trying to keep on top of everything. Makeup is continuously changing, so you have to keep up with trends and constantly learn new looks and keep your skills up to date. I find trying to keep up with social media hard to juggle between appointments and trying to balance my work life and my home life!
12. Do you have a favourite saying?
It’s its meant to be.. It will be 🙂
13. What one piece of advice would you give to a make up artist trying to get their name out there?
Don’t give up!!! It’s so competitive at the minute with so many people doing makeup artistry so Facebook accounts are very important to display your work. Go to as many masterclasses as you can, so you’re constantly learning and finding inspiration.
14. What are your top 3 skincare products?
Soap and Glory “Scrub of your Life”
Coconut Oil as my body moisturiser
15. If you could give one piece of advice to your younger self, what would it be?
Stop trying to be older and enjoy the age you are.
16. Are there any makeup artists either Irish or internationally who inspire you?
Maisy Reiser!!! Get on her.. Self Taught girl. Amazing at what she does. I always follow her Instagram to get inspiration from her looks.
17. Are there any women in business who inspire you?
It would have to be our very own Irish Joanne Larby aka The Makeup Fairy.. She has a business head on her shoulders as well as drive and ambition that would put you to shame.
18. What is the one makeup tool you just couldn’t live without?
19. What is your favourite makeup look?
You can’t beat a good smokey eye.
20. What is you biggest achievement to date in your career?
My biggest achievement is setting up my little beauty room. I was busy in my early twenties rearing my two girls, so it was a big thing for me to get back to work and become self employed and build a client base. To have people actually ring me and message me saying that someone has recommended me to them feels great 🙂
21. Do you have any makeup regrets?
Yes, when I used to NEVER fill in my brows 😦
22. What do you think is the most over rated and under rated make up products on the market?
I don’t know if I can say this but the most over rated makeup on the market is BRAND NAMES. People should look passed the brand name and just go by the product. I’ve seen products for €5 work better then ones for €50. The most under rated product is Catrice Camouflage Cream. For 3e it’s for nothing, I just love it!!!
23. What are your makeup must haves in your bag on a night out?
On a night out I need my lip liner, lippy and pressed powder!!!
24. Is there any product that’s relatively inexpensive that you swear by?
Without a doubt, the Catrice Camouflage Cream.
25. And last but not least, could you share with us your favourite makeup tip or trick?
Dust some translucent powder on your lashes between mascara coats to plump up the lashes!! It really works!
There you have it, I hope you learned a thing or two from Natasha and found some new ideas for makeup buys. As ever when I do a MUA Focus my shopping list gets longer and longer. I’m definitely going to get the Mac 217 Blending Brush!!! I loved what Natasha said about brand names and I completely agree. It’s important to remember that makeup doesn’t have to be super expensive to be brilliant!!!
Huge thank you to Natasha for taking part in my series. Natasha is someone who I’ve always admired both professionally and personally. She is an incredible mother to her two children and somehow manages to find the time to run her own successful business. She is an absolute credit to herself, and I’m lucky I can call her my friend. You will be in safe hands when you book in with Natasha. Find her on Facebook here => Natasha’s Beauty Room