On Sunday last, myself and my friend Amy had the perfect girly day out planned! Makeup Masterclass with Laura Dempsey followed by dinner in The Reg! A brilliant end to my holidays from work!
Laura held the Masterclass in The Tower Hotel to raise money for Pieta House. She did one last year for Pieta House too and I think it’s so refreshing to see such a big makeup artist take time out of her busy schedule to help raise funds and awareness for such a worthy cause. 100% of the ticket sales and raffle were going straight to the charity. Pieta House provides a free, therapeutic approach to people who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self harm. With suicide rates at an all time high at the moment, they need all the help they can get. Fair play to Laura for organising the whole thing, it’s commendable!
Laura was her usual stunning, bubbly self and had everyone laughing! She is a fountain of knowledge and I learned loooads! I’m sure you all follow her on Snapchat (and if you don’t, you have to start => laudempmakeup), well, she is the exact same in person, so down to earth and laid back. It was my 2nd class of Laura’s within four weeks, I literally could watch her work all day. She makes it look so easy and I always leave feeling inspired and wanting to create amazing makeup…it never quite turns out like Laura’s does though.
With Halloween just around the corner Laura did a half glam, half gorey look on her gorgeous model and fellow makeup artist, Kerry Ann Ryan. She used glitter, liquid latex, face paint, fake blood, the works and just watching it step by step and seeing it all come together was something else. I am going to go through some of the main products and steps she did to achieve the finished look.
- Skin Prep – Mac Fix + – it hydrates the skin, reduces fine dehydration lines, and suits both oily, and dry skin types. Dehydration can occur in both. Dehydration is a lack of water, whereas dry skin is a lack of oil. So for example it is often common for oily skin types to be dehydrated too. Spritz over the face with your eyes closed, it’s so refreshing.
- Eye Lid Prep – Inglot Under eye Concealer – cancels any discolourations, bluey undertones of the lid as well giving you a blank canvas for you to apply eyeshadows. Leave concealer to set a little.
- Skin Prep – Mac Strobe Cream – while the concealer set Laura applied Mac Strobe Cream to the face. This has a moisturising effect on the skin and gives the perfect base for foundation application.
- Eye Shadow – The main eyeshadow palettes Laura used; 1. Suva Beauty 2. Huda Beauty 3. BPerfect LMD Palette. For working shadows into the crease Laura likes to hold the brush at the end of the handle to help the product disperse more evenly. Laura’s favourite eye brush is Blank Canvas E26, she has about ten of them! (Now on my list)
The darker the colour of shadow the smaller the brush should be. Every time Laura goes in with a darker colour she blends it out with the lighter colour used previous – this is KEY if you want to master your blending technique!
- Cutting the Crease – Laura used Inglot Under Eye Concealer and she shared a great tip. Apply it to the eyelid…while it’s still wet…look up. This way you’ll see exactly where you should cut it!!! I thought this was the tip of the day!!!
- She set concealer with a matte white/cream eyeshadow to prevent creasing, then she went back in with her Blank Canvas E26 which had a small bit of eyeshadow on it to blend any harsh lines.
- Glitter – Laura’s favourite product for sticking down glitter to the lid is Ben Nye’s Glitter Glue. You can purchase it online from jeanettecroninmakeup.com for a tenner and it lasts aaaaaaages!
- The glitter she used was from Lit cosmetics, shade “Dreamsicle” and it was glorious, the way it caught the light had my inner magpie very happy. You can also purchase Lit Cosmetics Glitter from jeanettecroninmakeup.com
- Gel Liner –Laura’s favourite to use on client’s is Inglot Gel Liner in shade 77…water proof, smudge proof, sweat proof…it doesn’t budge! Her favourite to use on herself is Dealz Liquid Liner for only €1.50!
- Lashes – SOSU Lashes €6 in style Milan, a beautiful feathery finish! A good tip for lashes and something that people often get confused about is which edge to cut from. Laura explains that the best edge to cut from is the outer…ALWAYS. It prevents the lashes looking super long and unnatural on the inner corner, where our lashes are naturally shorter.
- Foundation – Laura mixed Mac Studio Fix with Fenty Beauty Foundation…two of her favourite foundations. She explained that Fenty Beauty Foundation is for oily skin and she wouldn’t recommend it for anyone with even a small amount of dryness. Laura used Blank Canvas F22 for applying.
- Concealer – Laura used her favourite, Maybelline Fit Me. She explains how it’s really good for anyone with dryness around their eyes. Excellent for hiding dark circles and bags. Leave concealer dry in and sit for a minute before blending with a DAMP Real Techniques Sponge. If you ever use this spoingbe it should ALWAYS, ALWAYS be DAMP.
- Under Eye Shadows – Laura works the opposite as she did on top, so she starts with the darker shade first then the lighter colours.
- Setting Powder – No. 7’s Perfect Light Transluscent Powder is one of Laura’s favourite setting powders. Helps keep the foundation in place for longer, and reduces shine.
- Bronzer – Mac Mineralise Skin Finish Bronzer adds a gorgeous warmth to your face. Differs to contour powder which gives more structure to your face.
- Contour – Laura used a Fuschia Palette and applied it under the cheekbones to make them stand out more.
- Blush – Sleek Palette and she applied to the highest point of Kerry’s cheekbones
- Highlight – Urban Decay’s Afterglow in shade “Side Piece”. I couldn’t get over just how stunning this highlight was…like it was ah-mazing! Laura’s favourite highlight brush is the fan brush from Nima.
- Lip Combo – Rimmel Cappuccino Lipliner with Sleek Matte Lip Tint in shade Birthday Suit…a gorgeous nude combo!
- Laura did a gorey clown look with fake blood, shading to give a 3d effect, facepaint and gems. The gems were from Mister Price. It was unreal seeing it come together.
- To achieve the wide mouth associated with clowns, Laura applied liquid latex, with cotton on top, then more liquid latex on top of that. This adds texture to the look.
- She worked on the eyes using a mix of reds and purples from BPerfect’s LMD Palette while the liquid latex set. Laura used Buff and Blend’s BB08 Fluffy blending brush, which is similar to Inglot 6ss.
- Laura used a red glitter from Glitter Express and applied in to the centre of the lid.
- The liquid latex and cotton “sandwich” had set and Laura used a scissors to cut it…looked super dangerous but Laura is such a pro so Kerry was cool as a breeze, as she knew she was in safe hands.
- Laura drew in all the details she wanted with facepaint and applied a drop of fake blood to just below Kerry’s eye.
The finished look was, as my Granddad always says…eleven out of ten!!! So much skill involved. I picked up some great tips and new product ideas, especially the Urban Decay After Glow, Maybelline Fit me Concealer, Dealz Liquid Liner and 3 brushes; Blank Canvas E26(an eye brush),Blank Canvas F22(a buffing foundation brush) and Nima’s fan brush!
From the raffle as well as ticket sales Laura and the attendees raised €750 for Pieta House, which is just brilliant!!! It cost’s €1000 for one person to go through treatment, so we definitely helped make a difference. Make sure you’re following Laura on social media, if you’re not already. She is without a doubt one to follow, so talented yet so down to earth…a genuinely lovely girl who is becoming more and more successful by the day. She does excellent Instagram short tutorials and she consistently posts stunning makeup looks. Instagram => LauDempseyMua Facebook => Laura Dempsey Makeup
After the fantastic class myself and Amy headed to The Reg and stuffed our faces. They were giving away FREE DESSERTS with every main course ordered!!!! So it’s fair to say it was a pretty ahmazeballs day!
Facebook – Beauty and the Masseuse
Instagram – Beauty_and_the_Masseuse
Snapchat – sarahdwan1
Twitter – @sdwan
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
About Me – Who am I?