Aging may bring wisdom, but it also brings some unwanted changes to our skin. It’s important to remember that no matter what age you are or how many lines and wrinkles you think you may have, it’s never too late to start caring for your skin and implementing a proper skincare routine.
5 Changes we See as we Age
- Large pigmented spots, including age spots, and liver spots, may appear in areas on your face and body that were often exposed to the sun.
- Lines and wrinkles, due to the decrease in production of collagen and elastin. Skin won’t be as supple or “bouncy”.
- Dryness and itchiness can occur because our sebaceous glands produce less oil as we age.
- Our fat layer thins so we have less insulation and padding, leading to thinner and more fragile skin.
- Blemishes like skin tags, warts, broken capillaries and rough patches are more common in older people. This is because desquamation(natural shedding of dead skin cells) is decreased.
My Top Ten Tips
- Whether you’re 20 or 50 years of age I cannot stress the importance of SUNSCREEN!!! Every single day apply factor 50 SPF to your face. There are many differing opinions on when to apply but I find the most effective way is to apply AFTER your moisturiser every day. My favourite sun protection for the face is La Roche Posay Anthelios XL, which you can read all about here => Skin Cancer – Prevention is key…SPF is vital!
2. Wear sunglasses and a hat when you can. This will protect the delicate eye area as well as shield the aging UV rays from your face.
3. Steer clear of face washes and micellar waters, as these often contain high levels of alcohol, which will only dry out your skin even more. Opt for oil cleansers or creamy cleansers. Two cleansers i’d recommend are Tomitago’s C1 Cleansing Oil and Declare’s Cleansing Milk.
4. Exfoliate regularly, at least twice a week. This will speed up the removal of dead skin cells which will a)help reduce dullness b)bring back colour and radiance to your skin c)help products applied afterwards penetrate deeper. Two of my favourite exfoliators are Tomitago’s C1 Combi and Dermalogica’s Daily Microfoliant.
5. Use a mask at least once a week, I recommend a mask that increases hydration levels, as these drop as we age. My favourite mask for fighting dehydration is Declare’s Hydro Balance Mask.
6. Use a super nourishing eye serum, face serum and moisturiser twice daily. There are sooooo many on the market and I think it can be quiet confusing as well as expensive buying lots of different products. I think skincare is best when it’s brought back to simplicity, which is why I recommend Tomitago’s E1 Elixir. A very clever 5-in-1 product that works as an eye serum, face serum, day cream, night cream and primer. Packed full of anti-oxidants that fight free radicals in the skin it fights the signs of aging very effectively while also being 100% chemical free.
7. Don’t forget about your lips!!! They tend to become thinner, drier and more prone to flakiness. I recommend Tomitago’s Lip Butter, especially in the colder months. Super moisturising and healing, I wouldn’t use anything else!
8. Remember skincare isn’t just about what we put onto our face, it’s also about what we put into our body. So many foods can help fight signs of aging, including fruits, vegetables, fish, nuts, whole grains and lean protein. Add more of these into your diet.
9. Regular facials with a professional can help and I recommend one at least once a month for best results. It is also incredibly relaxing and will help with reducing stress, which as we all know only adds to the effects of aging.
10. Sleep and exercise are just as important now as ever. Ensure you’re getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night. It’s at night our body and our skin repairs itself, so catching those much needed ZZzzzzzzz’s are super important. Exercise keeps the blood pumping which will help with circulation and speed up the removal of toxins out of our bodies. Exercise also increases the production of our “happy hormones” which will go a long way in combatting stress.
If you’d like to read more on Tomitago read here =>Brand Focus: Tomitago Cosmetics – Home of the 5-in-1 Miracle Elixir It is available from myself in Re>Nu Treatment Rooms in The Tower Hotel Waterford or online from tomitago.com
If you’d like to read more on the products I mentioned above you can read here => Fight dehydration, sensitivity and redness with Declaré Skincare Declare is available from Delany’s Pharmacy in Waterford or online from carapharmacy.com
For more information on Dermalogica’s Daily Microfoliant you can read here => The Dermalogica Duo that will Benefit Everyone! Dermalogica is available from LuLuBelle Beauty Salon in Waterford or online from glamazon.ie
La Roche Posay is available from Dowling’s Pharmacy, Waterford or google search online for your nearest stockists
I hope you found tonight’s post helpful and if you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Love the Skin You’re In!
Facebook – Beauty and the Masseuse
Instagram – BeautyandtheMasseuse
Snapchat – sarahdwan1
Twitter – @sdwan
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
About me – Who am I?